Friday, November 23, 2012

2.2; Inspiring?


With Ruby lurking around outside (yes, still, the persistent bitch) I’ve gotten so freaking paranoid that I keep thinking everyone’s got a Mark in them. I’ve been ignoring it, mostly – people are in and out of here so quick that it hasn’t become an issue, yet. Until earlier today, I mean.
There was this girl. I think she arrived a few days ago, kept to herself for the most part as far as Curtis and I are concerned. I think she most interaction I had with her was a nod as we passed each other, just because we could recognize that neither of us were regular travelers. I think she was one of the ones helping reinforce windows yesterday? I don’t know, I can’t really remember. She mostly hangs around a couple other Runners, doesn’t really freaking matter.
What matters is, I walked in on her this morning in a corner, wiping blood off her face. That’s when I clue in.
Something’s been off since she walked in the place, and that red scarf she’s got makes it so goddamn obvious I should have my eyes gouged out for not noticing it earlier.
She begged me not to say anything and told me that she’s like me. Running from the Red Cap – which is stupid, I realize. Running from the Red Cap is like running from yourself…once you’re Marked, the shame never goes away.
But, she told me she’d heard of me, heard that I was fighting my nature, and that I was an inspiration.
That’s the biggest, ugliest joke I’ve ever heard.
She left the hostel about an hour ago. I’ve been replaying it in my head, and I still can’t tell whether or not she was lying. Still, if she wasn’t, and anyone else out there thinks I’m ‘inspiring’?
Go cash your reality check, you need it bad.

Dispute Against Madness

2 comments:

  1. I was once told that someone who rejects being a hero is more likely to end up one in the end.

    Something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even tough she's not really a hero? Inspiration is a double edged sword, not necessarily a heroic trait.

    Depends on the person themselves and since we have no idea what kind of person she is, who knows what kind of example she is? Maybe not the best one, that is why I think she told that girl that she was stupid, you don't want another enemy to grow up, blaming you for all their failures right? If so then, how cute ;).

    Also, don't go losing it now, then fun as I might predict, is just starting, not sure tough, should be fun ;).

    - Kelevra.

    ReplyDelete